Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Blogging Overload

As I assimilate into this blogging world, I believe I have encountered some major frustrations that are inevitable with students. First and foremost; (1) becoming accustomed to checking/ updating my blog is hassle. Luckily I use gmail, so the log in process isn't too painful. But this leaves me thinking about others. What if you  have a separate e-mail account? Suddenly logging in and remembering a new username and password combination is a chore. How many of you have so many websites where you need to enter a username and password you often forget which set is the right one? IT HAPPENS TO ME ON A DAILY BASIS. Granted that may be my memory, but a 8, 9 or 10 year old may face the same difficulties.


(2) There is an extreme amount of pressure to create an original and meaningful blog. This stress alone can cause students to steer away from the blogging world.


(3) Time. Time. Time. Sure time would not be a factor if all student blogging was done in the classroom, but lets be realistic. Not all classwork gets done in class. Which leads me to my next point..


(4) Access from home. Not all students are able to access a computer/ Internet directly from their home.


(5) By far the most overwhelming aspect of blogging is the constant updating from people you are following. When I log in and see that there are 7 new blog posts my head spins. As educators we know every single person learns and interprets information differently. I need to take things one at a time, seeing 7 new blog posts distracts me and unfortunately unmotivated me. I do not mind reading 7 different posts (not to mention comments) one at time, but the set up of them all together is nearly impossible for me to concentrate on. It is like logging onto facebook. Your newsfeed is pages and pages long of status updates, photo uploads and random facts like "so and so is now friends with so and so". Do you ever see all the updates and get overwhelmed? Well that is how I feel about blogging. Too much information at once.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ilana,

    I'm fairly new to the blogging/social networking scene. Like you, I often feel it is information overload. But...I also think the 21st century youngster is so accustomed to technology that may be somewhat immune to the deluge of information. The clicks, points and drags may not be as distracting and overwhelming as I sometimes find it.

    I do, however, wholeheatedly agree and support your point under item #4. Not everyone has access to technology outside of the school environment. Libraries are an option, but budget cuts are quickly cutting back staff and hours of operation--making access even more limited for our less fortunate students.

    Great post! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you bring up a great list of points here. But as teachers, we have to know our students. You'll know how much time you and your class can dedicate to the blogs and how much they will really be integrated into the classroom. As for the students with limited access to computers, this is something you would have to survey students about at the beginning of the school year. If most of your class has access and only a few don't, make an alternative assignment- write it on paper and type/post it during school is one option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    You raise valid points. Some I have answers for, and others, well, more conversation.

    "(1) becoming accustomed to checking/ updating my blog is hassle."
    This is an interesting point and I believe that it speaks to the points that George Siemens raised in our first week. The amount of information our students will encounter daily is going to increase not decrease, and we should help them with strategies to deal with the influx. A blog reader, like the one you are setting up this week, helps to manage reading from multiple sources. I try to keep up with several great bloggers every week, and now I am also keep up with my talented students. I often skim, looking for important information, and slow down when I find it. This is a skill, too.


    "(2) There is an extreme amount of pressure to create an original and meaningful blog. "
    Writing, in general, can apply pressure. Practicing writing, helps. When blogging becomes a habit, it isn't as painful, and neither is writing. That's why proponents of the Balanced literacy have students write everyday, and encourage the use of "seed" notebooks for ideas. Add an audience to your writing and the pressure ticks up a bit, it's true, but it is also exciting to think that your writing has a purpose!

    "(3) Time. Time. Time."
    Yup. It's a biggie. Consider, though, that the big ELA and Math test for grade 3-12 will be administered online starting 2014-15. Do you want student to have their first experience with online writing to be the test? You are right, though, that schools need to increase access to technology. Especially considering those testing deadlines.

    "(4) Access from home."
    It's true. And more true some places than others. That said, it is important; more now than ever before. (Remember what I said about the tests?) Schools will need to look at extending access to school computer labs before and after school. Maybe take a serious analysis of 1:1 programs. At the very least, students and their parents should be encouraged to take advantage of public libraries. I'm in a library right now. Students without books are at a significant disadvantage. Teachers tell parents in this situation to go to the library. Students without computers or the internet are also at a disadvantage.

    ReplyDelete