Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Wikipedia Is Good for you!

When I asked my roommate if she knew what a wiki was she looked at me with a blank stare, waiting for me to clarify. I explained to her that the most generic and popular wiki is "Wikipedia". Instantly she knew what i was talking about. Even though it is the king of wiki's, Wikipedia has developed a bad reputation among educators. Why? Do we not want our students to have a huge source to look up virtually anything?

I came across a peer-revied open textbook series called Writing Spaces: Readings on Writing. You can download the full volume of individual chapters. I happen to come across a very fitting article entitled Wikipedia Is Good for You by James P. Purdy. I highly recommend this reading. Purdys words are so truthful that I wish I could quote the whole article.

Using Wikipedia as a source. Most educators do not believe in using Wikipedia as a valid source because it can be inaccurate due to the fact that anyone can supplement information. Educators also may be indifferent because of its ability to constantly change, therefore invalidating any prior citations. However I look at it this way : our society is constantly changing and evolving, as a result so is our knowledge. What is true one day may not be true another, we discover new advances INDEFINITELY.

Here is how we can use Wikipedia effectively, because lets face it, our students WILL use Wikipedia. Lets embrace this trend and raise our students potential.

1. Development
Wikipedia articles include a table of contents, which help break down whatever topic you are researching. You can properly utilize these  "multiple lenses through which you might frame an argument (e.g., origins, history, economics, impact, production). Looking at the table of contents and headings can help you view your topic from vantage points you might not otherwise consider and can give you directions
to pursue and develop in your writing."

2. Gateway to other texts.
All wikipedia information needs to be cited. Use these "names of—and often direct links to—other sources. Takeadvantage of these leads. When you have decided on a topic and are searching for sources to develop and support your thinking, look at these references, external links, and further reading lists."
**** You may still need to evaluate sources to determine if they are suitable for your use****

3. Use what you found for other searches
Simply take what you find out and use those leads to continue your reseach at a scholastic level.


 The article goes on to discuss all the elements of Wikipedia.









Figure above are the elements that Purdy goes into detail about





I think Wikipedia is a great tool to get started on any type of research project and should be embraced. So many students already use Wikipedia (wrongfully), so instead of blocking this tool out indefinitely, lets teach our children to use it the right way!

3 comments:

  1. Ilana, I have to admit I had been brainwashed into believing that Wikipedia was not a good source of information. I have found myself telling my students not to use it, and let me tell you, they are so insistent that it is a good resource for them. I remember when Wikipedia first came around and it was known as something "fun to mess around with" among kids. People would go in and just change information for fun. I agree that students will use it and instead of being fearful that there could be incorrect information we should teach our students how to make sure the information is correct. When you say we should teach our children to use it the right way, do you envision teaching kids to follow the reference links to check out the original sources of information?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that is exactly what I meant! Since everything in Wikipedia needs to be sourced, the children can check the validity of the sources. I think of Wikipedia as a great way to start any research. You can start on the main page and end up with hundreds of sources by "surfing the web."

    A great lesson would be showing students how to identify a false source.

    ReplyDelete