Tuesday, October 26, 2010

PLEase help!


My biggest concern about students today is that they lack the tools to learn and interpret infomration on their own. We live in the age of speed and instruction. Many students find themselves going threw the motions of completing tasks with an unclear reason as to "why".

Too many children are memorizing facts and completing assignments because they are told to.

The way I see it is that each assignment should present the opportunity for students to interpret it their own way. This is what Personal Learning Environment (PLE) would look like in a classroom. "individual educational platforms learners use to direct their own learning and pursue educational goals, using tools, community and services.

The article " 7 things you should know about personal learning environments" outlines what PLE is and why it is impacting education.

A PLE also puts students in charge of their own learning processes, challenging them to reflect on the tools and resources that help them learn best.

Every task, inside or outside the classroom is interpreted differently. We need to incorporate this into our classrooms.

I invision this is similar to IEPs, but for everyone not just classified students.

Lets take a poll: After reading this post leave a post explaining the best tool you have ever used to help you learn. Why was it so helpful?

3 comments:

  1. The best tool I have ever used to help me learn is a graphic organizer. Too many words confuse me and distract me. Graphic organizers with different shapes and sizes help me focus better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a teacher, we are thinking about how to engage students all the time.And PLE draws attention on personal envrionment, which may engage students because it has something to do with their own experience.
    The best tool I have ever used in learning is Malwarebytes software. It is not as complicated as photoshop. it is simple, and it helps me to cut pictures. Especially,if I don;t want some parts of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best learning tool I have used is a synthesis of input/quest--where I take in information, synthesize it, then go on a quest for more to deepen and broaden my expertise. I am visual and kinesthetic, and I understand systems and cause and effect, so graphic organizers help, as well as drawings, color coding and physical practice. For memeorization, I need to plug info into a system, or I just memorize by rote repetition--which is necessary sometimes.

    ReplyDelete